Saga Trivia Question For Michael Sadler

Ask Michael about Clear or anything relevent.

Saga Trivia Question For Michael Sadler

Postby Ax Slinger » February 16th, 2005, 4:43 am

Hi there, Mr. Sadler.

I saw you actually participate here so I decided to register so I could tell you a story and ask you a trivia question. Just for your (and everyone elses) amusement, of course.

My grandson who is 3 years old absolutely loves this one particular Saga song. Whenever he hears it, he does what we call the "Saga Boogie". Now you may not realize just how cute it is to see a 3 year old do the Saga Boogie, but let me tell ya, it certainly is. He sure can strut his stuff too. He doesn't understand the lyrics, or know the meaning of the song (I'm not even sure if I actually do...) but he sings and dances when he hears it, and when it's over he wants to hear it again, over and over.

Now you probably know that Saga songs are not exactly "I love you , you love me, my name is Barney" type songs, and that they normally don't (or wouldn't) really appeal to a 3 year old, as they tend to be a little more sophisticated than most childrens songs. But this song did. Out of all the many songs you and your friends in Saga have written, recorded and or performed, which one do you think my grandson does the "Saga Boogie" to?

:D
Ax Slinger

Re: Saga Trivia Question For Michael Sadler

Postby Michael Sadler » March 6th, 2005, 7:32 pm

Ax Slinger wrote:Hi there, Mr. Sadler.

I saw you actually participate here so I decided to register so I could tell you a story and ask you a trivia question. Just for your (and everyone elses) amusement, of course.

My grandson who is 3 years old absolutely loves this one particular Saga song. Whenever he hears it, he does what we call the "Saga Boogie". Now you may not realize just how cute it is to see a 3 year old do the Saga Boogie, but let me tell ya, it certainly is. He sure can strut his stuff too. He doesn't understand the lyrics, or know the meaning of the song (I'm not even sure if I actually do...) but he sings and dances when he hears it, and when it's over he wants to hear it again, over and over.

Now you probably know that Saga songs are not exactly "I love you , you love me, my name is Barney" type songs, and that they normally don't (or wouldn't) really appeal to a 3 year old, as they tend to be a little more sophisticated than most childrens songs. But this song did. Out of all the many songs you and your friends in Saga have written, recorded and or performed, which one do you think my grandson does the "Saga Boogie" to?

:D

Howdy Slinger!

Thanks for the "brain candy"! After long deliberation, I've come to the only logical(?), educated, wild guess that I could come up with. But first, my reasoning for said choice. On SAGA's first visit to Puerto Rico, I found myself sitting on the beach with a couple of guys from the crew, trying to understand the appeal of Saga's music to a population that should otherwise be more drawn to music with some kind of latin influence, when I couldn't help but notice a familiar tune in the air. As the music got louder and louder, I found the source of said music. There passing by in front of me was one of the local youth with a ghetto blaster on one shoulder, bopping down the beach to the sound of SAGA!!! My immediate reaction was, "what's wrong with this picture?".

The song was Humble Stance!

MS
Michael Sadler

Postby Rocknrollwknd » March 15th, 2005, 11:17 pm

LOL....Great story....Reminds me of my daughter (kinda)...cept her 3 favs are.... Follow Me....Once In A Lifetime...and Runaway....I would pick her up from school and She would sing the "Kids" part of Follow Me....Of course OIAL was a duet between her and I....lol and Runaway she would try to do the train sound....Classic
Rocknrollwknd

Postby Ax Slinger » March 17th, 2005, 6:12 pm

Hello again Micheal,

Nope, wrong answer. Humble Stance is a good guess though. (And one of my personal favorites from your vast catalog of excellent jams.) The correct answer is "Don't Bother". My grandson (I believe) associates the music of the song with a circus. It's got that Calliope feel to it, and when I listen to it, I get images of circuses in my mind. Don't ask me why because the lyrics have nothing to do with that, as far as I can tell. Did I just admit I don't really know what the song is about? Oh well... No matter. The point was in addition to the many hours of enjoyment I have got from your music, that song and my grandson's reaction to it has given me a memory I'll carry to my grave. (Which I hope takes awhile...)

As far as your comment about the kid with the ghetto blaster goes... You seem kind of surprised about that. Do you mind if I ask why? Saga has influenced a lot of people over the years, including myself. I remember driving my neighbors crazy playing "In Transit" when it came out. I would play along with it with headphones on so all they could hear was my guitar, and not the album. It really drove one of my neighbors nuts. He couldn't hear Saga, just me... And while I avoided the record business for numerous reasons I bet you can guess, if I was sitting on a beach in a strange country and heard my music playing on the radio, I would have got a big kick out that... You should be proud!

While I'm at it... As I type this, I'm sitting here watching the American version of "All Areas" on DVD. When you guys do a show, you sure don't pull any punches, do you? I've never seen you guys play live, and you never come to Northern California. So this DVD is the next best thing. That bit with the mini amp at the beginning of "The One" is classic.

Oh, and thanks for getting the "Slinger" part right... But you can call me Ax. Everyone does, ever since I was 10 years old. I must have explained that "The 'Ax' is the object, and the 'Slinger' is the person" a million times in the last 40 years, but people still call me Ax. So now I'm used to it. :D
Ax Slinger

Postby Ax Slinger » March 17th, 2005, 9:44 pm

I just watched the 3 videos that Susi posted from the November 2004 fan meeting in Beverungen. I hope you didn't mind my questions too much.

my questions

I have one... Actually a suggestion and a question. :D

First the suggestion... I've noticed in their set lists and live recordings that they tend to play around 20 songs. My suggestion is that they have a contest where people could choose which 20 songs they would like to see played live from a list of every song they have, or a list of all the songs they are willing to play, where the one that gets the highest number of votes gets played last, the one with the second highest number of votes played second to last, going in reverse all the way back to the 20th least requested song being played first. Sort of a Fans Choice Saga Top 20 Show...

Now for the question... Would they please do a live DVD of this where they record a show from beginning to end, and not fade out at the end of every song? A continuous live show that looks like a live show, instead a collection of individual videos. Even if it's not really a continous live show from one venue. About two hours long would be nice also. It could be longer if they are feeling energetic. Image

If you could ask them that, I would appreciate it. I'd also be interested in what they have to say about this idea.

I appreciated your comments, and I look forward to seeing a DVD filmed as I suggested, and hope you really do that. "All Areas" is great, and with no insult to the editor intended, I just felt it could have been produced for DVD better. That fade out between songs was kind of annoying, specially when you can tell the setlist had been cut and rearranged. I later found a copy of the full set list on Saga Germany, which confirmed that feeling.

Another thing was the audio \ video sync was so far off on some tracks that it was kind of a let down. As a guitar player, it's hard to ignore it when what you see is not what you hear. If you would to check out what I'm talking about, watch "Compromise". When Ian Crichton's solo comes, you hear him playing a fast moving solo, but what you see is him holding one note on the guitar. I know he plays fast, and I wanted to see that blur... Image

As I said, I don't say these things to insult the editor, the band, or anyone on your crew. Quite the opposite in fact. These comments are offered as constructive criticism with hopes that they will be taken as what fans would like to see. I paid top dollar for that DVD and was a little disappointed the things I just talked about, and that the Stuttgart part that was listed on Saga Germany was not included with the DVD I bought. But even so, it is still one of my favotite DVD's. And I would buy it again, if you release the same thing in the US as you did in Germany.

But the King Of Wordyness (that's me) has probably taken up enough of your time, so I will now say... Adios, Amigo!
Ax Slinger

Postby Ax Slinger » March 30th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Did I get a little too wordy for ya? Sorry about that! :oops:
Ax Slinger

Return to Questions, Questions, Questions...