Going Solo

Ask Michael about Clear or anything relevent.

Going Solo

Postby Storyline1 » February 15th, 2005, 4:03 am

Hello Michael,
It is great to hear you're solo CD, after listening for about 25 years to your work with Saga. "Clear" is an exhilarating piece of work...did you feel comfortable getting on more of a personal level with the lyrics on "Clear" than your music with Saga? When I listen to the words, I can feel you going deep within yourself as you take on the complexities of relationships head on. Did the lyrics come easy when you were writing the songs for this collection?

Thanks for the music! :D
Gary
Hello From a big Saga fan
Storyline1

Re: Going Solo

Postby Michael Sadler » March 8th, 2005, 1:18 pm

storyline1 wrote:Hello Michael,
It is great to hear you're solo CD, after listening for about 25 years to your work with Saga. "Clear" is an exhilarating piece of work...did you feel comfortable getting on more of a personal level with the lyrics on "Clear" than your music with Saga? When I listen to the words, I can feel you going deep within yourself as you take on the complexities of relationships head on. Did the lyrics come easy when you were writing the songs for this collection?

Thanks for the music! :D
Gary

Hello storyline1

Let me try and give you a little insight into the lyric writing for CLEAR. With the exception of the song "Clear", all the lyrics were written prior to my head-on collision with alcohol. After my six week stay in re-hab, I returned to the outside world with the ability to see things a lot more "clearly"! The song "Clear" vaguely describes my reflections on what happened. But as far as the rest of the lyrics go, when transcribing the songs for the liner notes, I found myself fascinated by the kinds of things that I'd obviously had floating around deep inside my sub-conscience. I thought at the time that I was merely writing about fictional situations based on my observations of basic human behaviour, but as it turned out, these "fictional" accounts had an eerily familiar resonance to them. Suffice to say, it was, at the very least, a very eye-opening experience! Did they come easily? That depends on your definition of easy!

I'm anxious to see what comes out when I put pen to paper for the next one!

Stay tuned and thank-you for your support!

Michael
Michael Sadler

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2005, 4:10 pm

Susi did a translation of the lyrics into German which are really good. Maybe it would be a good idea to make them available for German fans.

I'm anxious to see what comes out when I put pen to paper for the next one!

Do you have already an idea in which musical direction your next solo project will lead you, will you stay along those lines of Clear or try something entirely new?

And how much influence had your fellow musicians on Clear?

How is the prospect of more joint ventures with Chain (just heard praise about that one, still have to get it)?

And would it be possible to change my nick back to Uschi?

Return to Questions, Questions, Questions...