Queen

Ask Michael about Clear or anything relevent.

Queen

Postby Silent Knight » February 3rd, 2005, 2:44 pm

Michael I know you like Queen and Freddie Mercury very much and now Queen will tour with the former leadsinger from Bad company, Paul Rodgers.
There has been a few names named the past few years as the replacement for Freddie Mercury.

First it was George Michael.
I liked some of the earlier productions with Wham (Make it big) and you know the drummer of this album well (Trevor Morrell) as he has been session drummer for SAGA :-)), but I don't see George Michael as the right replacement for Freddie.

Then it was Justin Hawkins from The Darkness.
He's funny and got the attitude, but I don't think he's got the voice for it.

Then it was Robbie Williams.
I think he's great on a stage and maybe my choise of these guys, but he was dumbed by Queen.

And now there's Paul Rodgers who I would say is the worst replacement of these guys.

Who of those guys would you say would be the best to replace Freddie?

Then there is one name who haven't been named, but maybe the best choise of them all - you!
Michael would you quit SAGA if Queen announced they wanted you as their new singer?
Silent Knight

Postby Administrator » February 3rd, 2005, 3:25 pm

I'd love it if he quit Saga for Queen, better opportunities for him, more exposure he deserves, but that's just my opinion. :wink:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby DDirvine » February 3rd, 2005, 4:06 pm

Wow! Where do start here?..........Michael clearly (excuse the pun) deserves more exposure. I think the issue for the Saga is complex. Perhaps they need to tour with other bands, maybe some band members need a makeover to attract a hipper, younger crowd (sad but true). At the end of the day they need a "marketing plan". Perhaps they have one, I am certainly not an expert on the music industry, I just feel strongly they are under-exposed and it is a crime they are not better known.

Regarding Queen, I had heard it was to be Morten Harket (he sounds a lot like Michael at times). Michael would be perfect though, I think his stage presence is incredible and he'd nail those Queen tunes.
DDirvine

Postby Dickr » February 3rd, 2005, 4:12 pm

I recently read an article that quoted Paul Rogers. First he said they are going out as Qween and Paul Rogers. He will be doing some of his own material. He also said he is going over the Queens catalog to find the songs that he is suited for. He will not try to be Freedy M. Will prove to be an interesting combination.
Dickr

Saga needs to stay saga

Postby SagaKnight » February 3rd, 2005, 11:38 pm

I like Queen a lot, but I must admit Saga is more to my liking. It would be awesome to have Michael chosen as Queen's lead singer, but only on a limited tour or for an album. Do I believe it would bring him more exposure? It probably would, but it would also make people more curious about the band he's from..SAGA.
SagaKnight

Postby MichaelNoi » February 4th, 2005, 1:57 am

In my opinion Freddy Mercury cannot be replaced !
Any of the mentioned singers are very good indeed, but they have their own special voice. Regarding the promotion for a substitute of Freddy , it would certainly be a great deal for that singer. Who knew Paul Rodgers before ?
On the other hand, I see the danger of giving up one´s own identity and aims, when getting startetd with a new Queen Projekt. That was the point, why George Michael ( who´s voice is the most similar to Freddy´s) refused to sing further with Queen.
Sagafan since 1979 and still alive :-)
MichaelNoi

Postby Trudes » February 4th, 2005, 6:49 am

All the band members of Saga are precious to me, but that's just my opinion. :wink:
Everything you ever had, everything you ever lost, it's all in the music. Pain and hate, trouble and peace and quiet and love.
Trudes

Postby Administrator » February 4th, 2005, 2:57 pm

I don't think that's the question Trudes... :wink:
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Queen

Postby Michael Sadler » February 4th, 2005, 6:08 pm

Silent Knight wrote:Michael I know you like Queen and Freddie Mercury very much and now Queen will tour with the former leadsinger from Bad company, Paul Rodgers.
There has been a few names named the past few years as the replacement for Freddie Mercury.

First it was George Michael.
I liked some of the earlier productions with Wham (Make it big) and you know the drummer of this album well (Trevor Morrell) as he has been session drummer for SAGA :-)), but I don't see George Michael as the right replacement for Freddie.

Then it was Justin Hawkins from The Darkness.
He's funny and got the attitude, but I don't think he's got the voice for it.

Then it was Robbie Williams.
I think he's great on a stage and maybe my choise of these guys, but he was dumbed by Queen.

And now there's Paul Rodgers who I would say is the worst replacement of these guys.

Who of those guys would you say would be the best to replace Freddie?

Then there is one name who haven't been named, but maybe the best choise of them all - you!
Michael would you quit SAGA if Queen announced they wanted you as their new singer?

I like being able to answer two questions at once with one fell swoop of my electronic pen! Just for the record, for reasons too numurous (and painfully obvious) to mention, Queen avec senor Mercury is IT! TH-TH-TH-That's all folks!
Thank-you very much,

MS

(p.s. I truly appreciate everyone's vote of confidence. Just being considered is one of the greateset compliments I could ever receive and I thank you!
Michael Sadler

Postby Vic Vega » March 17th, 2005, 11:34 pm

I saw Queen in '84, an awesome show! Would I go to another Queen concert with a new lead singer? No!!! Paul Rodgers is a great musician, I saw him with his band The Firm (with Jimmy Page) about 20 years ago, but there is no way he could ever replace Freddie - nor could anybody else! Queen without Freddie just isn't Queen!
Vic Vega

Postby Ax Slinger » March 18th, 2005, 5:35 am

True... But to sell albums and concert tickets they need to be recognizable. And the name "Queen" is a sure fire way to do that. It may not be the same, but it would still be Queen. To say that Freddie Mercury can not be replaced is almost the same as saying Keith Moon could not be replaced in The Who. He was though, and The Who played on for many years.
Ax Slinger

Postby Michael Sadler » March 21st, 2005, 2:06 pm

Ax Slinger wrote:True... But to sell albums and concert tickets they need to be recognizable. And the name "Queen" is a sure fire way to do that. It may not be the same, but it would still be Queen. To say that Freddie Mercury can not be replaced is almost the same as saying Keith Moon could not be replaced in The Who. He was though, and The Who played on for many years.

Um.......................................................Never mind!

M
Michael Sadler

Queen

Postby JHatch » April 20th, 2005, 9:03 am

I am new to this forum, but far from a new fan of both you and Saga, having witnesses your talent way back in the late seventies, early eighties (opening for Jethro Tull) and recently at the Club Soda in Montreal with my friend Louis. I fully agree with you about Queen even if I had mentioned you as a replacement on the Greg Lake forum. Freddie Mercury was incredible (having witnesses his talent on a couple of occasions) and Queen without him would be like The Beatles without Lennon or McCartney, even Harrison and Starr.

Cheers Michael,
James
PS Currently inserting your new album into the computer, headphones are on and away we go.
JHatch

Return to Questions, Questions, Questions...